365 Vegan Smoothies: Boost Your Health With a Rainbow of Fruits and Veggies by Kathy Patalsky. You guys, I love this cookbook!
Smoothies are like liquid sunshine. They’re a fun and delicious way to get maximum nutrition into your diet with minimal time and effort — I love ’em! But I have a confession to make: the last few months, I’ve been suffering from a serious lack of smoothie inspiration. The lack of inspiration led to boredom which then led to entirely too many days started without a smoothie. No bueno. This book was the perfect cure!
I’ve long been a fan of Kathy’s blog, Healthy. Happy. Life., where she showcases her ingenious recipe-development and photography skills, so I was naturally interested in her first cookbook offering. I checked 365 Vegan Smoothies out from the library and within seconds knew that I needed it in my collection.
The book is split into two main sections. The first part provides a little smoothie 101 (why, when, types, tips and tricks) and the second part provides the recipes. Kathy breaks the smoothies down into 12 themes (each one representing a month of an optional 12-month wellness program) such as detox, calming, healthy-digestion, strengthening and mood-boosting.
Here are a few of the things I like about the book:
- Fun, colorful and clean look with plenty of beautiful pictures
- Well organized, with an in-depth ingredient index
- Most of the recipes are made with familiar ingredients that you likely already use in your kitchen — but there are some that contain ingredients that will help you expand your palate
- Recipes are easily customizable, depending on your mood and what you have available
- Lots of tricks for adding a little extra oomph to your smoothies using common ingredients, such as frozen avocado, pumpkin purée or watermelon, as well as creative flavor combinations
- Many of the smoothies are dessert-worthy (but guilt-free!)
365 Vegan Smoothies features a wide variety of smoothies to suite any appetite. My book is already littered with tabs down the side denoting the various smoothies I’ve made. Here’s a quick peek at some (above, from top left): Vibrant Kiwi-Pineapple, Green Gusto, Golden Blueberry Burst, Vanilla Pumpkin Pleasure Shake, Simple Citrus-Berry Pleasure and Coffee-Banana Freeze.
All have been super wonderful! But these are my absolute favorites thus far:
On the left, the Orange-Walnut Cream Shake and, on the right the PB Oat Bar. The shake is reminiscent of an orange creamsicle, made extra creamy thanks to a few walnuts. And the PB Oat Bar gets a little bit of a rustic flavor from oats — an addition I never would have thought of on my own! This smoothie was the first one I tried, and I’m sure I’ve made it at least 30 times since. It is really good (both with and without any sweetener)!
With a years’ worth of liquid sunshine at my fingertips, I know I’ll never have to worry about a lack of inspiration or boredom again. 365 Vegan Smoothies is the definitive book on smoothies. If you’re into smoothies (or just want to be), this is the book for you.
What’s in your favorite smoothie?