Vegan MoFo 2011 – #4
Daiya (pronounced “dayaa”) is one of the most popular vegan cheeses on the market. The cheeses are fairly unique in that they’re free of most common allergens, including gluten and soy. Daiya stretches, it melts, it freezes well and it tastes great, too. Daiya originally launched with the mozzarella and cheddar style shreds–which are wonderful in anything from a classic grilled cheese to a pizza–and most recently they added pepperjack style shreds to the mix. The pepperjack shreds have a nice kick of heat to them, and I think I like them best out of the three varieties. I’ll definitely be keeping some on hand to add to tacos and quesadillas.
I decided to give the pepperjack a go in these biscuits and I was so happy with the results. They turned out just how they should–light, fluffy, flaky and savory. We literally couldn’t put them down (ok, so it was mostly me that had that problem). You might as well make two batches, because these will not last long.
- ¾ cup plain soy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance, cold
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup Daiya Pepperjack Style Shreds
- Crystallized salt
- Heat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, combine soy milk and lemon juice. Set aside for about 15 minutes, or until curdled.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Add the oil and Earth Balance, and mix with a fork until spread evenly and only small chunks of the Earth Balance remain (don’t let the EB mix in completely–if that starts to happen, place it in the fridge for a few minutes). Add the green onions, cheese and the soy milk and lemon juice mixture. Mix with your hands until no dry ingredients remain. Do not over mix.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, kneading once or twice more. Flatten into an 8×8-inch square (or until about ½ – ¾ inches high). Cut into 2-inch squares, sprinkle with a little crystallized salt and bake for about 14-18 minutes, or until lightly golden.
And now, what you’ve probably been waiting for: the giveaway! Daiya is providing three vouchers for free Daiya products to one lucky person. The vouchers will be redeemable at any retail location where Daiya is sold.
For a chance to win, do one or any combination of the following, for a maximum of three entries:
- Leave a comment below telling me what you’d like to make with Daiya.
- Follow @thevegancrew on twitter AND leave a comment below letting me know that you’re a follower.
- Tweet “Giveaway: Enter to win free Daiya from @thevegancrew http://www.thevegancrew.com/?p=3219” (or something similar–just be sure to mention @thevegancrew and to provide a link to the giveaway) AND leave a comment below with a link to the tweet.
One entry per comment (so if you do all three, for example, you must leave three comments, one for each item completed).
Good luck! :)The fine print: Contest ends Sunday, October 9, 2011, at 11:59 pm CST. The winner will be selected randomly and will be announced Monday, October 10, 2011. If the winner doesn’t respond within 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Contest open to residents of the US only.
Update 10/10/2011: Contest has ended.
Congratulations to our winner, Aubri!